Celebrities and Pets: Which Dog Breeds do Celebrities Prefer?
Celebrities are not unique in loving animals. The rich and famous, however, set trends when it comes to pets, just as they are with fashion and many other things. When considering celebrities and pets, it’s interesting to note which dog breeds are popular with the world’s most famous people. Celebrities own all kinds of dogs, of course, including mixed-breed mongrels. The following five breeds, however, are well represented among the wealthy and famous.
- English Bulldogs. These small but sturdy dogs are among the most popular breeds in America. They are also the choice of many celebrities, including Brad Pitt, Adam Sandler, and David Beckham. Many people like bulldogs because they’re loyal and protective while small enough to own in cities and to travel.
- Chihuahua. These tiny but spirited dogs have long been favored by female celebrities. Among their best-known owners are Britney Spears, Christina Ricci, Reese Witherspoon and Paris Hilton. One advantage to owning a chihuahua is that they’re easy to pack into a bag and take on a plane, something celebrities do with some frequency.
- Corgi. This medium-sized breed’s full name is the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Originally bred for cattle herding, Corgis are especially popular among wealthy families in England, all the way up to the Royal Family. Queen Elizabeth II has reportedly owned dozens of these dogs. Other famous owners include Stephen King, Selma Blair and Kirstie Alley.
- Labrador Retriever. This breed, which includes both yellow and black labs, is extremely popular among the general population as well as with celebrities. They are friendly, smart, protective and especially good with children, making them a great pet for anyone Some of the most famous owners of labrador retrievers include Minnie Driver, Bill Clinton, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Costner.
- Airedale Terrier. This is one of the most elegant looking dog breeds, so it’s not surprising that many celebrities own them. Past and present famous owners include John Wayne, Bo Derek, James Earl Jones and President Warren Harding, whose Airedale named Laddie Boy is famous as one of the first celebrity White House dogs.