DIY: Healthy Homemade Cat Treats
There’s no doubt about it: cats are carnivorous and they go crazy over fresh scraps of meat. Luckily, most lean, unseasoned meats are good for your cat, so these juicy bits make for guilt-free snacking. If you’d like to keep some healthy, homemade cat treats on hand to indulge your kitty, this simple recipe is the one for you. All the ingredients are safe for cats and are easy to come by in your local grocery store.
- 1 pound ground turkey, raw
- 1 thin slice of ham (such as a sandwich slice), diced
- ¼ cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small (about 1 inch square) cookie cutter, any shape
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine ground turkey, ham, instant mashed potatoes, and egg. Stir or knead until well-mixed.
- Put the mixture on a sheet of wax paper (or other nonstick surface). With a rolling pin, roll to about ½ inch thick.
- With the cookie cutter, press out as many pieces as you can. When you’re unable to cut any more, you can combine what’s left of the mixture and re-roll it, then press out the remainder.
- Place treats on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
- Remove treats from cookie sheet and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then place them in a container and store in the refrigerator.
Note: Potatoes are not harmful to your cat once cooked. Make sure to never feed your cat raw potatoes, which contain calcium oxalate and can cause kidney problems. Thorough cooking nullifies this substance. By using instant mashed potatoes, this has already been done.
Thanks for stopping by! We’re delighted that we’re a part of your pet health community.
Have you made homemade cat treats before? What have the results been like?